Sunday 13 September 2009

Tortilla/Frittata

I'm trying to eat low carb at the moment, and though I knew I was going to totally abandon the diet for the picnic today (mmmm cupcakes!) I did want to do myself a high protein dish to fill me up so I wouldn't eat too much else, and I settled on a frittata.  I will admit I wanted to make this so I could use me fantastic new Le Creuset omelette pan too!

I checked out a few recipes on the web but ended up winging it.  This is the rough recipe:

1 medium onion thinly sliced and caremalised.
1 red pepper, roasted and diced.
1/2 courgette, fried until brown.
A couple of large achocha, fried until brown.
A few slices of tomato
2 ounces or so of grated chese
6 eggs, beaten

I laid the tomato slices out in the bottom of the pan (the idea was to make an attractive top when the frittata was turned out) then mixed all the other ingredients together in a bowl and poured them on top.  I baked it in the oven at Gas Mark 4 for about an hour until the top was golden and it was nice and set.


Unfortunately when I turned it out the bottom hadn't browned at all, and it didn't look anywhere near as appetising as the top, so I flipped it back over before slicing.  In future I will start the cooking on the hob to brown the bottom too!  I'd also save the cheese for sprinkling on the top to make a cheesey layer as the flavour got a bit lost in the main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment